Yep, it’s officially the holiday season. One of the most anticipated times of the year. It signals family gathers, office parties, and food galore. Hopefully you’ve been following your New Years resolution to get fit and stay healthy but for most of us our good intentions have gone by the wayside and our perpetual habits of poor food choices and a lack of exercise continue to exist. By the time the end of December rolls around we’ve indulged in the goodies and gorged on the leftovers to the point of discomfort. We begin each new day with the hopeful thought of “Come New Years I’ll get back on track”.
So this year I encourage you to set up a track for success before the full swing of Holidays begin. As a health professional and firm believer that we are what we eat I try to balance the things I ingest. Although, just like Buddy Elf I enjoy the four major food groups of candy, candy canes, candy corn, and syrup a little too much…Guilty as charged
Tomorrow there are 10 days until Thanksgiving and if you haven’t signed up for your local turkey trot I encourage you too! Even if you walk the entire event you will be well on your way to a better Thanksgiving digesting day. So here’s the 10 day challenge to whip you into shape, sharpen your brain skills as you plan your black Friday hit list, and squeeze into those skinny jeans before you head to grandmas.
Try these ten tips (1 a day or a few to up the ante of your results)
- 8oz of water x 8 = 64oz a minimum amount of water you should drink in 1 day
- Skip your weekly happy hour and head to the gym or park for an extra workout
- Take the stairs all day at work
- Cut the carbs. For lunch each day this week reduce your carbs. Try a salad or opt for a breadless sandwich made with lettuce instead. Jimmy Johns will serve you a Unwich and you will literally slice your calories.
- Try one new vegetable. This season my favorites are butternut squash, spaghetti squash, and mushrooms. All low in calorie and can be combined in many great recipes.
- Give up sweets or at least the really bad ones. You know you’re going to indulge at the party so for the next 10 days no cookies, cake, candy, or ice cream. You may be able to create 1 or two loop holes if needed in case of emergency
- Replace one meal a day with the smoothie recipe below
- 6oz of Greek Yogurt (any flavor will do but I prefer Chobani mango, blood orange, or original)
- 1 cup of frozen fruit (mixed berries, apples, 1 whole banana, etc)
- ¾ cup of unsweetened almond milk (chocolate or vanilla)
- 1 Tbsp. of ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp of honey
- 1 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. of Peanut butter (optional)
- Don’t eat after 7pm
- Eat protein at every meal. It fills you up and keeps you full longer.
- Think before you eat! Seems simple but remind yourself are you really hungry? Or are you eating out of stress, emotion, fatigue or boredom? Besides grabbing for that chocolate bar what else could you do? Go for a walk, watch a movie, read a book, or simply sit in silence for a few seconds.